Shawna's Black Bean Soup
- 1 (15oz) can black turtle beans (I used Hannaford, Sweetbay's store brand)
- 1/2 cup Pace Chunky Salsa (I LOVE their mild variety)
- 1 1/2 tsp Organic Better Than Bouillon Reduced Sodium Chicken Base (purchased at Costco)
- 1 1/2 cup boiling water (I heated mine up in microwave)
- 1 tsp freeze dried cilantro (Lighthouse brand, sold at Target)
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used Kraft Triple Cheddar)
2. In small sauce pan, simmer the salsa and the black beans for about 3 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, dissolve the chicken base in the boiling water. Better Than Bouillon Reduced Sodium Chicken base is super delicious, better than any box or canned broth or stock I have tried before.
4. Add chicken base and cilantro to bean and salsa mix. Stir, stir, stir.
5. Pour soup into food processor or blender. I used my Ninja Master Prep. Just five little pulses got it to the perfect consistency. You want the soup to have bits of beans but to be creamier in consistency.
6. Pour soup back into sauce pan and simmer on stove top for about 10-15 minutes, stirring after about 5 minutes. Take a big whiff...smells great doesn't it?!
7. Add shredded cheese just prior to serving. The heat of the soup will gently melt the cheese.
YUM! Perfect for that Mexican-food craving!
Makes 2 servings (1 1/2 cup per person)
11 g fat
34 g carbs
16 g protein